Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Bus 47, Where Are You?

Today the sun is shining so very bright through my window that I had to put down the shade. If I were not tired from getting to, being at, then getting back from the Bastille Day parade this morning, I would pick a place to go to enjoy more daylight. Just to mention it, yesterday was cloudy, dark and dreary, even though it did not actually rain. Not in the least inspiring.

This was the opposite of the day before, Sunday, at Jardin des Plantes. The flowers, plants and trees were that much more glorious because it was sunny. Let me point out a few instances. My favorite was the spiky green bulbous stalks. Commonly known as Cardère Découpée. The spikes were hard, and at some stage there will be tiny light blue flowers blooming from the bulb; this was only partially evident on one of the stalks. The flower beds down the center walkway were planted by color which made it especially attractive. Yellow sunflowers, yellow marigolds, yellow daisies with dark centers. Can you visualize this?

And along the way, I happened to pass this little family.
Bus 47, Where Are You? Dear friends, it is not that Karen was lost again. The bus stop was no where to be found. Monday afternoon went like this without my blue bus guide: I had decided to do some sightseeing by bus to try out my Navigo pass. The first time I used it, it was “validez”. I like the ease and convenience of using it.

Well then, as I believe you all know, buses rarely travel a direct route. I first got off Bus 47 near the Pompidou Centre. The street is one way (Sebastopol); I will need another street going back. I walk to Hotel de Ville, my intended destination, and because I know there is a stop near there. I looked at the displays recently installed to demonstrate different types of ecological plants and ways of planting. I was under-whelmed.

But, . . . you guessed it, the sky starts to clear. It’s 9:00p.m. Okay, the bus stop is not there, let me go this way. I walk along one quay, pass the rear of Notre Dame and across one bridge. I know where I am, but where do I find the bus stop for Bus 47.

Eventually, I reached Rue Monge by going along Blvd. Saint Germain. I spotted a bus stop and reached the apartment just before 11:00 p.m. Thus, the abbreviated blog session yesterday. One good thing came of this circuitous walk: I passed a restaurant that specializes in Mexican food. It was filled up at 10:15ish; that’s always a good sign. I plan to give it a try before I leave.

Could this happen again,? It’s so much fun, but I think I’m getting better at it. I will stop here to work on some photos and describe today’s parade in another post. Thanks for following my rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS WELCOME