Friday, July 31, 2009

Summary of Past Week

The past week has been a bit hectic. I must shift the balance of my activities from that of being flaneur to tourist. I have joined the ranks of the Spanish, Italians, Germans, Swedes, Japanese and other persons whose languages I do not recognize. It is now my last full week in Paris.

For those of you coming to Paris in a few weeks, any exhibition I mention will have a specific closing date. Everyone else, see www.paris.fr for events focused on Paris citywide. For more cultural events, see www.parisinfo.com. Upon arrival, immediately buy a copy of Pariscope (unless it is a Monday or Tuesday, then wait for the new issue on Wednesday) at a newsstand for euro 0.40 as a source to find out what‘s going on in Paris.


Le Weekend
Saturday -- visited the Musée de Cluny-National Museum of the Middle Ages. Current exhibition -- “Le bain and the mirror” (until 21 September), relates to the importance of cosmetics, and bathing rituals in Greco-Roman times. As well as similar manifestations during the middle ages. Also, I saw a good portion of the permanent collection, including the unicorn tapestries.
Sunday -- a roundabout daytrip by car to Senlis, through the Fôret de Chantilly to Ecouen. The trip was made primarily to see the countryside, but to also see a companion exhibition at Ecouen’s Musée National de la Renaissance (Chateau d’Ecouen), "Soins du corps et cosmétiques à la Renaissance". It was a great day, however I will include more in a separate post, as time permits.

Monday
Afternoon -- steady rain.
Evening -- viewing of Eiffel Tower at sunset and the twinkling lights later. It’s not just for tourist; it can be considered a free event. Come with friends and share a picnique.


Tuesday
Morning -- Paris Plages. Different types of activities set up along right bank of the Seine, centered around the Hotel de Ville. It has become an annual event for Parisians unable to leave the city for a summer vacation.


Well, that’s the official line, but it is actually part of city-wide events to make summer a major season. Amble use is made of the late setting sun (near 10:00 p.m.) -- concerts, dance programs, movies under the stars and some boxed-in areas with fine sand. Quite a bit to choose from.

From Paris Plages to Palais Royal. I am sorry to say that part of it is undergoing renovation. I believe it was overdo, but it was disappointing to see it in this disrupted state. (An orange-colored gel, and an assortment of other colors, were placed in the people's peep squares.)


Lunch, then the “Planète Parr” exhibition at the Jeu de Paume-Corcorde (until 27 September). Martin Parr is not one of my favorite photographers and collector (self-described); however, I will applaud his efforts to bring emerging photographers to the public’s attention. The exhibit is divided between some of his work from 2008 and earlier works by documentary photographers whom he has identified.

This was a long, exhausting day for me. I fall into bed once I reach home. Perhaps warmish, sunny weather had something to do with it.

Wednesday
I took bus 63, mentioned last week, to the Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris (16th), 11, av. du President Wilson. “L’Imagaire d’après Nature” (until 13 September) presents a re-collection of vintage Henri Cartier-Bresson photographs from a 1975 exhibit. It was nice to see the favorites up close.

Took a bus (#42) to the La Madeleine area for the “Valadon - Utrillo: Turn of the Century in Montmartre, Impressionism to School of Paris“ exhibition at Pinocothèque de Paris (8th), 28, place de la Madeleine (until 15 September). An ambitious endeavor, covering all floors, put purposely limited in scope. I would have liked to have seen more by Valadon. However, if you have never seen an extensive display of works by these two artists, you should definitely try to go.

Kept the day short, but not before I made a stop at Maille (Company). I’m excited about trying the specialty mustard that I bought (Apricot sec with curry) and the very intriguing Vinaigre de la Pulpe de Figues.

Thursday
I finally took the plunge, so to speak. I should have gone sooner to the Hammam at the Mosquee de Paris (39, rue Geoffroy-St-Hilaire), for a sauna and massage. It is located quite near to my apartment, next to the Jardin des Plantes, but I had not been before now. I spent a relaxing few hours followed by lunch at the restaurant. The restaurant and tea room (great looking pastries) are very popular. This day it was not too crowded. For a change of pace, I had Lamb Couscous (a fair amount to eat for one person) and Moroccan coffee. I bought two pastries for later.
In the evening, I strolled along Paris Plages again.



Coincidently, the book being read is "The Reader".

Friday
This morning I did some grocery shopping and saw a few other places in the neighborhood. After chatting with all of you, I will be going out again. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS WELCOME