Tuesday, August 24, 2010

More to Say Regarding a Walkabout

A Walkabout is similar to leaving home with your camera at your side intending to capture life as it impinges upon you. A lack of destination is inferred, but usually I have in mind a direction, or a general destination. At a recent talk held at the B&H Event Space, the speaker mentioned something that should be routine for every photographer. Go out and practice to hone your skills.

I said to myself, a Walkabout could be considered practice. Yet the time expended must be secondary to scanning the horizon, rather in New York, the sidewalks, for a sight worthy of capture. I almost want to say, on film; but those days have nearly passed.

On my web site, I have a gallery entitled “WALKABOUT: New York.” My intent during my search is to capture images that convey a feeling, a design, or a color. Refining my technical skills has always been an unconscious component, but now will be more top-of-mind.

So, as reinforced by the speaker, to capture the near-perfect image under pressure, your skills should come into play instantly, with little thought required. While on a Walkabout, tick off a checklist: gauge the lighting, look for the best perspective, confirm the right exposure and speed settings, frame, and press the shutter. In other words, practice and learn to be prepared before the near-perfect shot passes before your viewfinder. So, when on assignment, or in my case, while traveling, get the shot you want with the least effort.

Why do I use the term “near-perfect.” Well, I know of nothing that is perfect. In terms of a photo, be prepared for 98% perfection in an instant.

After leaving B&H this particular day, I was attracted by window reflections and others things along 34th Street while walking east toward Broadway.

I need to practice my "panning" technique a bit more, but I like this image anyway.

1 comment:

  1. KC,

    Thank you for your kind mention of B&H Photo. On behalf of all of us at B&H Photo, please accept our warm thanks and deep gratitude for your patronage. We look forward to earning your trust and continued business for many years to come. I invite you and your readers to check out our new informative and entertaining blog at www.bhinsights.com

    Hershel K. Waldner
    Supervisor,
    Online Marketing Department
    B&H Photo-Video-Audio
    212-239-7500 ext. 2893

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS WELCOME