Saturday, July 24, 2010

A Few Hours in the Lowlands

On an outing to the lowlands of New York City (a.k.a., Brooklyn), the moist hot air filled my lungs and dampened my clothing. Admittedly, I had written directions to 9 Noll Street, but reconnoitering the nearly empty streets from the subway was as amazing as being in Naples because of the wonderful wall paintings on many buildings. My ultimate objective was to see the “Urbanity” exhibit at the Bushwick Senior Citizen Center. The show was curated by Daryl-Ann Saunders, a dedicated photographer and curator who will be expanding her residency at the Center into a long-term project which will narrate the experiences of long-time residents of the Bushwick section of Brooklyn. My hat’s off to her and best wishes.
This particular Saturday (July 10th), an Artist Talk was scheduled, to be presented both in English and Spanish, and offered the opportunity for my tiny adventure to the lowlands. Send a “shout out” to Daryl-Ann for a great project.

Taking the train on 14th Street, Manhattan

Arrived in Brooklyn, Morgan Ave. Station

Very eye-catching mural

Looming thunderstorm forecast for the afternoon

A light moment between the English statement and the Spanish translation

After the Artist Talk

Just happened to like that smile!

Was there something on my mind as I was returning home?

It's been in the news for a few months.

Sculpture

Back at the Morgan Ave. station.

The train home arrived in less than 1 minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS WELCOME